Garfield House Update
Hi, my name is Bob Mack. I am one of the Construction Trainers for Akron Summit Community Action Youthbuild, Akron, Ohio.
Here is what we have completed so far on the house:
- Deconstructed house down to the studs
- Recycled deconstruction material
- Modified interior floor plan
- Installed windows Energy Star rated
- Constructed front and rear porch roofs
- Removed old roofing and sheathing on main roof
- Installed new sheathing on main roof
- Installed new Certain Teed Landmark Solaris Gold Max roofing donated by Certain Teed
- Installed Certa Wrap on exterior of house
- Installed new vinyl siding
- Installed Certain Teed Certa Spray insulation in the wall and ceiling
We are now starting to install Certain Teed drywall, donate by Certain Teed. This has been a great learning experience for all involved. We thank Saint- Gobain for this opportunity
Hi! my name is Curtis Taylor. My team and I are working on a LEED house with the help of partners like Certain Teed Building Products and hope to earn Platinum certification. We are making good progress on the house and I am proud to say that I had something to do with it. It was one way of giving back to the community. I have advanced my carpentry skills, learned about green building. I will be going to school for HVAC certification.
While in YouthBuild, the YouthBuild staff and family taught me leadership, community service, education, communication and construction skills. They keep pushing me to stay on a positive road. Staff has kept encouraging me. I know I will continue to be active in my community because of YouthBuild.
By the way I earned my GED!!